Saturday, June 10, 2006

Well, Here we go, the first one...

Well. Here we go. I, Finally have decided to join the millions and write a blog. Amazing, the guy who has done so much has just never got into it. I've always thought that if I was going to write one, it would be on my server with software that I installed, but this project is to important for it to wait.
You may ask, "What brought this on?"
Simple. I'm in Utah.
"What are you doing in Utah?"
Well, I'm glad you asked. I am here bringing a WiMax broadband link into Hanksville, (Yes, the same Hanksville that the Mars society has a Hab. Look it up, It's cool.) Something like a 70 mile link in from an old ATT tower to the town of Hanksville. From There we will distribute it all around Hanksville via a WiFi mesh network.

Bringing Broadband to the uninitiated...

Cool.

(Well, It's actually really hot here, (Something like 110 degrees!) but I'll get back to that. )

I've actually been here for something like two weeks, and I've seen and done some cool things. If I can I'll try to get back to them, in the very near future, but for now I'll just talk about the reasons for this trip, then in another posting (Because I'm still learning how to use the tool :( I'll talk about today.

I am here to get the Community broadband WiFi network up, I am here to help Don and his family wherever I can, I am here to do a documentary video of the project. I will also write a few magazine articles and maybe even a book. (Add it to the many I have to write.) If I have any free time left, I'll do some work for the Engineering Team and the Mars Society.

As far as my writing style? Fast, loose, I sometimes follow the rules, sometimes not, Sometimes I just rant, sometimes I will write with great description, sometimes I'll be angry, sometimes I'll just be lame. Usually I'll just be me. My pictures are often weird and plentiful, but occasionally are interesting. It's probably worth looking at.

If you hang around though, you will learn a lot about what is required to bring WiFi to your small town.

Oh, and if you live in a rural area without any broadband, and you want Broad band, WiFi or both, Contact me, I can probably get it to you, and perhaps with little or no cost to your town.

Have fun, buckle up, it's gonna be interesting.

:P

No comments: