Monday, July 03, 2006

The trip.

OK, People have been asking ma about the trip, why did it take a week to go three days worth. Well, frankly, it was a bit of a nightmare, and since it happened almost two months ago, I have forgotton most of it, but I'll try anyways.

First off, the plan. The plan was simple. I was supposed to drive Jack the wonder truck to Denver, pick up my 5th wheel, then drive to Utah, where I would stay in my 5th wheel until we got the job done. Since I am always a) looking at the angle, and b) trying to help people out, I had decided to pick up a car in Detroit and take it to Kansas, (Along the route) pick up a friend and take her to Denver, and stop by a friends sister's house in Kansas City and help with their wireless network. (That is after all what I do... and, since I am really good at it.)

Nice plan.

What about the best laid plans? Yeah right.

Let's start frm the beginning. I had spent a fortune in time and money with the last few details on Jack the wonder truck. Jack is a 'factory', if you call Magnum, the motor coach people a factory, conversion of an 11,000 pound Ford cube van to a 5th wheel hauling pickup truck. He (Yes I know, mostly women, but he told me he was a he, and his name is Jack, and NO I was not medicated, legaly or otherwise at the time!) was made in '86 theoretically, but I keep on finding '89 parts on him. He has a 460 w/a C6 and a doug nash auxiliary over-drive transmission. My record is I have put 2.79 tons in the bed, and he only barely squated, yet he carries the trailer he was made for as smoothly as if, well, they were made for each other... A serious heavy duty truck that was made for long distance highway running with a load on, the pickup version of a semi tractor. I liked driving him, and even more so with a load on. He handles better that way. This was my father's truck, and it served him well for over 250000 miles until he died and I inherited him.

A couple pictures are posted here.

People think I'm crazy to want to drive him that far. Everyone, even my brother. Sure I've had some issues, but nothing serious. I even went so far as to rebuild the auxiliary trans. Still, every one thought I was nuts. I'd never lsiten.

I'll get back to this later, I need to go eat, but I'll post it untill then.

OK, Chow, an aborted attempt at a movie and I'm back.

So, the fun started when I got the contract to move the car. The guy said nothing about the type of trailer. So, when I went to use a car dolly, he freaked. (If he wanted a real trailer, he should have said so in the bid.) so I go to rent a u-haul ('cause none of those other frelling companies will rent a trailer unless you are also renting a truck.) and they don't have it, (Actually they did, but they didn't want to rent their last one the lying bastards.) so I have to drive all over town to get a trailer, and finally pick it up right as they close

No comments: