Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Shower!

Today got an operating shower. Yes, operating is a definable term, but it will put hot water on you, and drain it away from you...

That's operating isn't it?

I'm just plain going to keep this short...

We had a very frustrating day dealing with the electrical weirdness and the satellite connect. We just plain decided, after some consultation with the tech that originally installed it for Azis, that we could not do it with the tools that we had available. F! Then I went to climb the tower to reset the PCSP HF radio, (You should look Polar Shelf up, these guys are as cool as it comes...) and it had gotten too windy, and I'm just plain really pissed off. I don't do failure very well, so, after a very late lunch I started running the main trunk line for both the hot and cold PEX lines. This was after our two Inuit guides/helpers must have no doubt thought I was completely insane, because I went through a kind of manic stage and had them cut all of the copper piping out. Then went ripping through the hab like a madman, because I couldn't find the precious few PEX rings I'd brought with me. I was feeling pretty driven, because I thought the rest of the guys wanted a shower pretty bad. I know I was feeling kind of scrungy, not very a manly scrungy, just kind of nasty scrungy, and James (Who spent most of the day either working on determining just how jacked up the electrical was. (I think it was so bad that he was considering quiting and just running extension cords everywhere.) or in the thankless job of determining what our parts/tool inventory is.) had made a comment to the effect that we was feeling a bit gnarly also, and not in a good way. After all of the above, I finally got to settle into a good quick work rhythm and after what seemed like way to long (Probably because of the PEX ring search) we have the main trunk run. And it looks really good. It will look much better after I get it all hung. (I like having my stuff is well hung.) Then finally, I get all of the cold water pieces connected, borrowing one of the angle stops to get it done. (This whole gig is about resource management. Trying to get as much done as possible with what we have here, knowing what is left to do and what will be coming...) And I look around triumphantly. This is a victory. A small victory, but still a victory. “WE HAVE A WORKING SHOWER!” I proudly announce. No one wanted to take a shower...

Oh well - I went to bed.

No comments: