Sunday, April 22, 2007

Well, Here we are...

It's kind of tough to believe it, but my sore foot and back tell me that it must be true...

We're on Devon, in FMARS, to stay. Well, for me until May 10th, For James August!
I go through stages. Sometimes it's just another day, doing another job under some harsh/limiting conditions. Other times I just stop and just enjoy the moment, reveling in the thought that I'm here, Mostly I'm just tired. There is so much that could be done, and the real purpose for our visit has been back-ordered. Well, sort of. The real purpose of our trip was to ensure the runway was acceptable for flight operations. It is. We will maintain it in that condition. We are also a remote weather station to report the weather when the crew needs to come in. We have that nailed. Then we were to make sure that the generators were operable. Considering the condition they were in, it was a GREAT idea that we took them to Resolute to work on them, James is cleaning up the wiring, That should keep someone from dieing. (That's usually a good thing...) I'm bringing up the satellite Internet connect, and if you can read this then either I succeeded or I completely failed and I'm back in Resolute. As I write this on the 22nd, I expect I'll get it, but we are concerned about hardware failures or needing a different sat finder. As soon as I get a real connect up, I'll start sending up some of the several hundred pictures we have. We have our two Inuit guides/helpers (Steven and James, Yes that will cause some confusion. We will have to work that out.) helping by shuttling the rest of the gear over and starting to melt the snow. They will also take care of keeping the kero heaters fueled. Steven is one of the local Rangers. You should look them up. These guys are responsible for the “Sovereignty” missions locally. Among other things that means that they go out in the harshest conditions just to show a Canadian face. Talk about hard core! James is 17, and Aziz's “Grandchild number two”.

There is a different Magic here than MDRS. This place – Well, I can't define it yet. When I figure it out, I'll let you know. There is so much more to say here, but there is an equal amount of work, so I'll stop now, but will post daily once we get an operating connect.

This is going to be a great trip. It would be even better if only we had all of our parts here.

[Posted by Emily - Paul's web connect still leaves a lot to be desired and he can't access webpages]

No comments: