Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Step one, Put a hole in the box

I decided to write this throughout the day, so it will look even funnier than usual.

So I got up way late. Well, not completely. I was up long enough to check the weather and make the morning sked. (As they spell it,) Then went promptly back to sleep. I got to bed very late last night. There was a rather troubling telephone conversation last night. I won't say that thoughts of murder entered my mind, but it was close. There was also an hour of last second shopping list information on an Iridium phone that wouldn't work more than a few minutes at a whack. Very annoying, very frustrating, and by the time I got done, It was all I could do not to scream. So, I sat, ate a chocolate pop-tart(tm) (Which apparently our guides hadn't seen before.) and bull shitted about cold weather operations. I talked about how it's like in the Colorado Rockies, (They had never heard about trees exploding in the real cold.) they talked about operations in the Arctic. (Steven has actually done operations in -60C!) I took a picture of the sunrise at 0200! Needless to say, I got up late. There were a few calls trying to get our net connect operational, and talking to Robert, (As expected, he was given bad data... We are cool now.) I gave Aziz and Melissa our last second shopping lists, and all we can do is wait and do the prep work for the parts arrival. Len said that there was no word on the “Perfect Vision” satellite finder.

I am tired of screwing around with the pisser line, and James had the brilliant but overkill thought of using the 90000 BTU salamander heater on it. I used a box as a tent. This contained the heat and directed some up into the line going into the insulated section under the Hab. I had to laugh, because my instructions to me started with, “Step one, put a hole in the box...” Some of you may know where this came from, if not, you're really not missing anything. That solved the problem in short order.

It was warm but way ice foggy, so I climbed the tower to place the flags and place the HF antenna in a better location. What we have now in the current task list is;
a crapload of electrical stuff to do, and nothing to do it with
MSAT issue
align sat dish
finish genset doors
fresh water system
raise shower pan
waste water system
work out LP system
stairs
bring fuel drums over to shed
fix seized drum fuel pump
set up data storage unit
and as a personal task for me, I need to organize my shit. I will also need to get Melissa's self inflatable pad inflating. It takes two or three days here.

So, What I've decided to do to is knock some of those items off the list. Since there's not a hell of a lot we can do to the sat dish, and Robert is pushing comm to a higher priority, James is working on the MSAT issue. That leaves me to work on something with our two helpers. Since the fog thing is disturbing me concerning generator survivability, I decide to finish the genset shelter. Which I do, in what I originally thought was going to be a masterpiece of Carpentry skill. Instead – Well, Ed would not be impressed. But at least it'll keep the heat in and the snow out... I guess that counts.

James got the MSAT connect to work, but only using SLIP, and it is very service limited. We were – not impressed. We got another ISP, They don't work, I mean, just WTF!

SCREW THIS I'M GOING TO BED. Oh, It was a fairly productive day. And I can't seem to stop farting, bad, like horrible bad, I wonder what I'm eating different. Oh, and I seem to have a strange fascination with my breath fog in a 60 degree hab...

No comments: